headerphoto

Raising Children by Zig Ziglar

Her name is “Promise.” One lovely Sunday afternoon 14 years ago Alexandra Nicole Ziglar made her entrance into this world. Her parents and grandparents were all elated and relieved, since she was beautiful and completely healthy.

It has always been my custom to give my children and grandchildren nicknames to identify them in a special way. My other three granddaughters are “Sunshine,” “Keeper,” and “Little Lover.” I decided to nickname Alexandra “Promise” because she holds so much promise for the future.

As I reflected on her birth, I was reminded of the fact that she has two well-educated, committed parents who love each other and who share a tremendous amount of love for her. The grandparents feel the same way. Research clearly indicates that if children have both parents to raise them, and other adults such as caring grandparents to look to with trust, love and respect, they will have additional benefits. A study done in Missouri suggests that 60-65% of a child’s working vocabulary has been acquired by the age of three. Promise has quite a vocabulary since her mother, Chachis, speaks fluent English and Spanish, and uses both languages with her. (Her father, Tom, speaks pretty good English, too.) Additionally, since 80% of a child’s character is formed by age five, she had an advantage because both parents have strong moral and ethical values, undergirded by faith. According to psychologists and psychiatrists, ninety percent of a child’s personality is formed by age seven. Promise is being raised around a lot of love and laughter, conversation and family get-togethers, so her personality is outstanding. Yes, my granddaughter, “Promise,” has all the advantages money can’t buy!

I mention these things not just to brag on my granddaughter (had I known grandchildren were going to be so much fun, I would have been nicer to their parents!), but to encourage you to keep these thoughts in mind as you raise your children and/or grandchildren. Think about it and I’ll SEE YOU AT THE TOP!

0 comments:

Post a Comment